No-school and delayed opening announcements can be heard on radio stations WBZ, WEEI, WHDH, WRKO and on television stations 4, 5 & 7. A delayed opening is one hour, or a 9:10AM start time. The Melrose Public Schools also uses the Connect Ed. Phone messaging services, which can send an automated telephone message informing families of such schedule changes. Please inquire at the school to receive these messages.
District of Melrose Public School System
Cold Weather Advisory Guidelines for Recess & Outdoor Physical Activity
Fresh air and exercise is an important part of the school day. Time spent outdoors gives students the opportunity to engage in activities that allow them to relax from the structure of the classroom for a short while. It is difficult to set guidelines that fit every circumstance and condition in regards to outside activity during cold weather. Please consider the following guidelines in regards to modifying school recess, other outdoor physical activity, or physical education classes.
Each school is responsible to determine the criteria for such decisions regarding safety of outdoor activity on a day-to-day basis. Melrose Public Schools will adhere to standardized decision making for outdoor recess based on weather conditions reported for zip code 02176 at www.weather.com.
Conditions that should be considered in the determination:
- Wind Chill
- Age of Students
- Length of Time Outdoors
- Adequacy of Clothing of the Children
- Condition of the Playground
Recess & Outdoor Physical Activity
- When properly clothed, elementary school-aged children can participate in safe, vigorous play in an outdoor environment in most weather conditions. Increased caution should be practiced when temperatures are below30 degrees, including the wind chill factor.
- When temperatures fall below 20 degrees including the wind chill, students are kept indoors (“feels like” temperature based on www.weather.com for zip code 02176).
- Each year students and parents should be informed of the school’s cold weather guidelines, along with reminders about the necessity of wearing appropriate clothing for cold weather activities. It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to ensure their children come to school dressed appropriately for the weather.
- Requests to stay indoors based on health reasons must be honored. The parent and school nurse, in consultation with the principal, must work to determine a workable system for when the child should not participate in outdoor activities due to health.
Sidewalk Snow Plow Route – North